If you’re like many people trying to sell a loft or condo in DTLA, you know that making small upgrades can make a huge difference – but should you use something like appliance paint to spruce up your kitchen and give it a fresh look?
What is Appliance Paint?
Appliance paint is paint that’s formulated just for your refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher… you get the picture. It’s made for metal surfaces and it can withstand wear-and-tear. It also comes in heat-resistant finishes, which you’ll need for the oven.
How to Choose the Right Paint
When you’re doing something like this, it’s best to stick with a nationally known brand – that way, you know what you’re getting. The three biggest brands are Sherwin-Williams, Krylon and Rust-Oleum. Giani, also a big brand, makes a product called Liquid Stainless Steel, which is a DIY kit that lets you paint your appliances to look just like brushed steel.
Most are available in spray paint.
How to Paint Your Appliances
You should only paint your appliances if you’re confident you’ll be able to pull it off. If you can already envision yourself dealing with drips, uneven surfaces and other mistakes, call a professional.
If you can do it yourself:
- Clean the surface thoroughly – remove all fingerprints and food residue
- Remove rust by sanding
- Unplug the appliance
- Remove all the hardware, handles and buttons
- Protect areas like rubber seals with painter’s tape
- Use water-based plastic primer on any plastic parts you’re painting
- Spray with even, steady strokes
- Let the first coat dry
- Look for drips, and if you find them, sand them away with #600-grit sandpaper
- Put on a second coat if necessary
- Sand away drips with #600-grit sandpaper
Are You Buying a Loft or Condo in DTLA?
Call us at 213-254-7626 or get in touch with us online to start exploring your options when you want to buy a loft or condo in downtown Los Angeles.
While you’re here, check out our: